Looking for realtors in West Jefferson, NC so you can find your dreamy forever home? What about your next remote vacation getaway in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains? Want to know if life in West Jefferson is right for you–whether round the clock or seasonally?
If you’re looking for realtors in West Jefferson, NC, you must think it’s a pretty special place. We do too–for many reasons! In this article, we take a deep dive into what makes West Jefferson a special place to visit, and a great place to live. For some FAQ on what it’s like to live in West Jefferson, check out our recent article on the topic!
Top 12 Reasons Why Residents Love West Jefferson
Realtors in West Jefferson, NC aren’t the only ones who know a thing or two about the Appalachian lifestyle! For those who are just getting acquainted with West Jefferson, we’ve compiled a list of things to love about living in this cozy mountain community. Here are the top 12 reasons why residents and tourists alike love West Jefferson:
- The Ashe County Farmer’s Market: In the market for artisan, hand-crafted goods, eye-catching local produce, or butcher-cut meat? Look no farther than the vibrant farmer’s market in West Jefferson. Spanning mid-April through October, 8:00 am to 1:00 pm, this market offers a large and diverse list of vendors that are sure to have what you know you need–and some surprises, too! Whether you’re on a mission to incorporate more leafy greens in your diet, to find pup-friendly treats for Fido, or to sample an exquisite loaf of bread from the artisan baker, the Ashe County Farmer’s Market has a lot to offer for the interested shopper.
- The Art Scene: With a notable choice of three different art schools to choose from given its small size, residents can explore their creative side without ever having to leave town. Have you ever taken some time to ponder an artist statement or appreciate the mastery of someone’s craft? West Jefferson offers residents and visitors the opportunity to stretch their creative boundaries with eight art galleries, which are open to gallery crawlers six months out of the year. If you happen to visit during the “off-season,” never fear–there are over 15 public murals packed into West Jefferson which you can see for free on a downtown stroll!
- Multiple Music Venues: Four different venues currently host live music within the town of West Jefferson. The good news is, if you ever miss a show, it may be playing the next night or two in the neighboring town of Jefferson! For a complete list of venues, click here. Be sure to stop by the calendar of events on the Ashe County Chamber of Commerce’s webpage for upcoming performances and events!
- Greenfield Campground: Just minutes away from the nationally recognized Blue Ridge Parkway, this campground comes with electrical and sewer hookups at all campsites so you can hook up the family RV while you relax and unwind. With a playground, live music Friday nights, and two fishing ponds, this campground also has a clubhouse for events and church services. This is a great place to de-stress for anyone looking for a dose of fresh mountain air without the hassle of setting up a tent.
- The Ramblin Poppy: It doesn’t get much more local than this artisan, Appalachian-style butcher nestled in the heart of West Jefferson, NC. This family-run business offers custom order building on purchases over five pounds. Realtors in West Jefferson, NC know this is one of the area’s best-kept secrets! Don’t walk away without trying their renowned sausages.
- New River Brewing: West Jefferson is one of the few places in Ashe County that serves alcohol, and New River Brewing has taken full advantage of that! A micro-brewer specializing in beer and run by a father and son duo, New River Brewing offers a wide selection of award-winning house-made ales and stouts as well as pub-style libations to satisfy their hungry fans. Featured on their menu is local beer bratwurst from The Ramblin Poppy!
- Saint Mary’s Episcopal Church: Also known as Saint Mary’s Church of the Frescoes, this church is one of West Jefferson’s most popular attractions! With an iconic series of frescoes created in 1974 by North Carolina native Ben Long, visitors can muse over “The Mystery of Faith” and other internationally renowned works, all done in the classic Italian “true fresco” style. Wonderfully, this priceless experience is free to all persons looking to soak up a bit of Rennaissance-style artwork crafted by an American artist.
- The Public School System: If you’ve got a family or are planning on starting one, factors like county resources and local public school systems become huge players in deciding where to buy a house. For those interested in cultivating a good learning environment for their kiddos, it may please them to know that Ashe County public schools rank above average on the national scale with over half of their students showing proficiency in both math and reading.
- Ashe County Cheese: Velvety or pungent, sharp or creamy, for the cheese enthusiast, there are no wrong answers at Ashe County Cheese. One of the most popular tourist attractions in North Carolina, this cheese plant was originally started by Kraft in 1930. Today, it is known for its old-style cheddar wheels, Juusto cheese, and butter. Check their calendar for viewing hours so you can see the cheese-making in action!
- Great Southern Gothic Apothecary and Curiosity Shoppe: What would a downtown culture be without a generous sprinkling of the mystical? At Great Southern Gothic, visitors can shop herbal tinctures, smudge bundles, and soothing balms while they wait for their turn in the fortune-telling booth! Don’t miss the two-hour walking Ghost Tour which covers West Jefferson’s spookier side.
- The Honey Hole: This local gem couldn’t be sweeter! With a wide selection of locally-sourced honey and bee-related products, The Honey Hole strives to “promote the art of beekeeping” by providing customers with top-of-the-line beekeeping equipment and a reminder about what makes these pollen-covered critters special. Be sure to stop by if you have a sweet tooth, or if you’re interested in the timeless art of beekeeping!
- Small Town Charm: This cozy mountain town may be small in terms of population, but it packs a punch both historically and culturally within its two-mile radius! With a practically non-existent violent crime rate, West Jefferson is known for its welcoming atmosphere and slow, enjoyable pace of life. If you’ve ever wondered what it’s like to live in a historic mountain town, West Jefferson will provide the experience you seek.
Realtors In West Jefferson, NC
As you can see, there’s a lot to love about West Jefferson. With a thriving art scene, ample natural beauty, and local business owners who focus on giving back to the community, West Jefferson is a great place to start a family or to get away and “unplug” from it all. Realtors in West Jefferson, NC know about the local treasures and love to share what makes their mountain town unique!
Looking for your forever home in West Jefferson? Feel free to peruse our current listings or hop on over to our contact page to start browsing available options today!