If you’re looking for log cabins for sale in West Jefferson, NC, you may be looking to get back to a simpler way of life…one where you can get back to nature and live off the land! If this sounds like you, the mountains of North Carolina are the perfect place for you. Not only does this state have some of the most beautiful log cabins in the Appalachian Mountains, but it’s also home to a thriving homesteading community. In this article, we will discuss the top 10 reasons why you should move to a log cabin in North Carolina, and leave your busy city life behind!
Top 10 Reasons to Live Off the Grid
Unplugging from the hustle and bustle of city life isn’t for everyone; in fact, a more rugged, outdoor-oriented lifestyle can come with a lot more work and even some sacrifices. However, there are benefits to this off-grid lifestyle that causes more and more people to seek the simple pleasures each year. Here are the top ten reasons you’ll want to look for log cabins for sale in West Jefferson, NC and live off the grid by the end of the year:
1. Autonomy: Do you like feeling independent, capable, and able to handle anything life throws at you? Do you enjoy overcoming challenges beyond those provided by a 9-5 desk job? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you may be the kind of person who enjoys the independence, autonomy, and confidence that comes with living “off the grid.” While this type of lifestyle can present its fair share of obstacles, chores, or challenges, in learning to solve them as they arise, you grow more skilled and more valuable to your community—not to mention it’s personally satisfying!
2. Sustainability: Does the ability of future generations to thrive matter to you? Living outside the city can provide opportunities to “unplug” from fossil fuels, energy companies, public water, and more. This “back to nature” lifestyle can lower your carbon footprint and minimize your negative impact on the planet.
3. More rewarding lifestyle: Like we said, cabin living is no cakewalk—but with each set of obstacles comes the reward of solving the puzzle and saving your own day. It’s hard to put a quantifier on just how rewarding this can be—but there’s got to be a reason why nearly half a million Americans are choosing to live off-grid.
4. Health benefits: Being in nature can have a tremendous impact on mental health and is a very soothing thing for some folks who experience mental health disorders. Also, you will be breathing in less pollution, which is better for your lungs—especially important if you already have breathing problems, like asthma! Additionally, being outside more often than you are inside means you will be getting more exercise with less opportunity for stress…which in turn leads to a longer life expectancy.
5. Grounding in traditions and time-honored knowledge: Ever wondered how to make jam? Or pickle your abundance of home-grown green beans? Living outside the hustle and bustle of the city allows you to slow down your pace of life and focus on the traditions and handed down knowledge that kept homesteaders alive through the leaner times. This not only makes you a more capable person, but it is a way of honoring how far we’ve come and acknowledging our roots at the same time.
6. Grow, harvest, forage, or hunt your own food: Want to know exactly where your food comes from? Living off grid is the perfect opportunity to grow your own garden, hunt, fish, forage, or trade harvests with your neighbors. For people who love to eat quality food, this alone can be a driving factor in deciding to live away from the fluorescent glow of the supermarket.
7. Create a safe haven: Out in the boonies, you are less likely to become the victim of a crime, like a mass shooting or a mugging. By carving out your own little piece of paradise, you have a little more peace of mind when you lay your head down at night that some of the chaos that comes with city living will not find its way to you.
8. Save money: Let’s face it—living in a metropolis is expensive! If you’re providing for yourself with a garden, a natural well, a wood burning stove, or a hunting license, you’ll be cutting out a lot of the cost of regular city life, and in a wholesome way, too.
9. Invest in land for long-term financial planning: Land is a finite resource and will only become more of a premium. Investing in land is getting ahead of the game while you still can—a good long-term planning move not just for you, but for your children and their children.
10. Refocuses relationships on the local community: City life can be fast-paced and people will come and go…but out in a little mountain town like West Jefferson, the community members may need to lean on each other to get by. This creates deeper, more meaningful relationships with your neighbors that may bring you luck, prosperity, knowledge, and joy!
If you’re already looking for log cabins for sale in West Jefferson, NC, you likely already know how special the surrounding area is. Northwestern North Carolina is home to some of the state’s most incredible resources, such as national forests and a wealth of outdoor activities, nature trails, hunting and foraging opportunities, and more. And this is not to mention the art and music scene in this rugged corner of Appalachia is rich, vibrant, and steeped in history—from the construction of the area’s first railway to the ongoing bluegrass music conventions that still take place every year.
Log Cabins for Sale in West Jefferson, NC
If you’re looking for a unique, beautiful place to unplug from the daily grind or maybe even start a homestead, you’ll want to consider West Jefferson, NC. With the opportunity to grow more autonomous in your daily life, practice healthier, more eco-friendly ways of living, and strengthen meaningful relationships with the local community comes its challenges—but some feel those challenges are met with higher rewards than those offered by the stresses of city living.